St. Alphonsus Peru
Past, Present and Future
Home PageAbout this websiteA comprehensive history of St. AlphonsusSt. John Neumann Prayer Centeruseful links
 

In January, 1844, Rev. Francis X. Brunner, representing the Fathers of the Most Precious Blood Order, arrived with a band of seminarians and priests. “The sanguinist Fathers encountered none of the hardships of their predecessors at Peru. They found there a well organized parish of more than 100 families, having a large church, school and pastoral residence with all the necessary appurtenances; also a well-equipped barn and best of all there was no debt.” (23)

Fr. Brunner wrote home to Switzerland describing their arrival at Peru; “We thought we saw the shepherds of Bethlehem, who as they hastened to the crib, told the good tidings to one another.” The parishioners competed with one another to supply the needs of the newcomers. One pioneer housewife reportedly hurried home for bread and milk, while others furnished meat, butter and vegetables; still others brought furniture. The “hermitess” supervised the cleaning of the church that soon held the entire settlement for Mass in honor of Our Lady. (24)

   

 

This website is best displayed on a 1024X768 resolution
Sitemap
Questions? Comments? E-mail the webmaster
St. Alphonsus is located in the Toledo Diocese