St. Alphonsus Peru
Past, Present and Future
Home PageAbout this websiteA comprehensive history of St. AlphonsusSt. John Neumann Prayer CenterSt. Francis ShrineContact Ususeful links

Father Peter Carabin came back to serve as Pastor of his home parish in 1847 after he had served for a number of years in Wisconsin. He was in ill health and had retired to his parents home to recuperate. Bishop Amedius Rappe of the Cleveland Diocese welcomed the recuperating Indian missionary as pastor because of the great need for priests.

The exact nature of Fr. Carabin's illness is not known but it was known as “Maumee Fever” during the canal days. at the time of his dearth Fr. Carabin was paralyzed with the exception of his hands. In his final years he made a new English translation of the Book of Job and a poetic version in German of the Psalms. This book is now in the hands of a descendant, Miss Mary Carabin, Norwalk.
It was during the time when he was serving at St. Alphonsus that he solicited subscriptions for a new church.

The four acres of land that the present church was built on was bought from John Spitznogle on May 23, 1849. The stone for the church was native Bedford sandstone taken from a quarry which was located along the river on the Peter Bauer farm adjacent to the land of Joseph Carabin. This is on the east side of Sate Route 61 across from Settlement Road. The new church was constructed on the north side of Settlement Road where it still stands today. According to parish financial records $4726 was collected from parishioners during the stay of Fr. Carabin.

The Rt. Reverend Bishop Rappe, consecrated the church on January 18, 1852. (28)

This website is best displayed on a 1024X768 minimum resolution
Questions? Comments? E-mail the Webmaster.
St. Alphonsus is located in the Toledo Diocese