St. Alphonsus Peru
Past, Present and Future
Home PageAbout this websiteA comprehensive history of St. AlphonsusSt. John Neumann Prayer CenterSt. Francis ShrineContact Ususeful links

Reverend Marcellus Lambillotte was assigned as pastor in April, 1935. He served until June, 1953. During these 18 years Fr. Lambillotte completed many projects for the betterment and growth of the parish. He did an outstanding job of preserving facts that are becoming history by initiating the “parish news”.

The first Sunday bulletin was published October 18, 1936 and carried this quote from Fr. Lambillotte, “We trust that you will save the parish news...for its historical value in the progress of your church.” St. Alphonsus Parish will forever be indebted to Fr. Lambillotte for the information he has saved, and also for the humor he inflected into these bulletins. These bulletins were all saved and he had them bound into book form. They are now held with the rest of the historical documents that have been found during the course of the research of this history.

In a bulletin close to the first publication, we find this. “In 1936 we built and paid for complete well and well system, school toilets, replaced pipes in church and convent, built new kitchen, started installations of new lighting fixtures in church and enjoyed the use of new vestments.”

Buggy sheds were located on the south side of Settlement Road. These sheds, that housed the horses and buggies while church was conducted were auctioned on January 27, 1938. A quote from the parish news. “The sheds have passed into history with many other things of pioneer days; they served their purpose well and have now given place to the strides of progress.” The parish realized $176.80 from the sale of the sheds. (31) )

St. Alphonsus Parish boundaries as set in April, 1938. It includes everything inside of Old State Road from Townline Road 151 to Sate Route 162. West on State Route 162 to Peru Center Road, inclusive of North Fairfield village; North to Peru Center Road to Hettle Road; Northwest on Hettle to Terry Road; East on Terry Road to Peru Center Road; North on Peru Center to Johnson Road; East on Johnson Road to Halfway Road; Halfway Road until there is a slight curve in the road then north following an imaginary line to State Route 20; East on U.S. Route 20 to State Route 61; South on State Route 61 to an imaginary line that will travel east to Townline Road 151 stopping at Old State Road.

This website is best displayed on a 1024X768 minimum resolution
Questions? Comments? E-mail the Webmaster.
St. Alphonsus is located in the Toledo Diocese