By this time the “hermitess” was convinced, that if they build a church, there would be a priest in residence. With the Bishop's permission a church as built. Under her supervision and many times her help the church was erected. Sister Francesca was know to often wield an ax and work right next to the men in the woods.
The land for the first church was donated to Bishop Fenwick on May 20, 1830 by John G. Taylor, Peter and Verona Bowers (Bauer) and Anthony Haffel and wife, Cecill (Anthony Hoeffel and Cecelia Carabin Hoeffel). There was a total of ten acres donated; eight was in Peru Township and two in Bronson Township. The two acres in Bronson donated by Taylor is located north of Jim Schaffer's present property on Route 61 and runs west to Peru Township. The land is presently owned by the children of Marion Lonz. The other eight acres is located in Peru Township on Carl and Josephone Ott's property. (5) (SEE MAP)
The church faced west, opening with double doors and four windows graced each side. The frame structure measured 32 feet by 40 feet. On the east end there was a wooden cross and at the west end there was a small belfry holding a bell donated by Fr. Henni. The inside of the church was furnished with an altar made of rough boards and pews of round logs, hewn flat on the upper surface, lined the outside and center of the building. (6)