St. Alphonsus Peru
Past, Present and Future
Home PageAbout this websiteA comprehensive history of St. AlphonsusSt. John Neumann Prayer CenterSt. Francis ShrineContact Ususeful links

In 1830, the church was blessed by Fr. Henni and called St. Michael's (7) This fact is upheld by an entry into Huron County Marriage records held a the court house in Norwalk.

In the next three years the number of immigrants increased and included some names still familiar in the area. Among them were the Burger, Hohler, Schnurr, Greenfelder, Hammerschmid, Behrman (Barman), Grimmer, Smith, Schaefer, Hettel, Schreiner, Zimmer and Schmitt families.

The predominately German speaking community stayed fairly isolated, depending on their own. It is interesting to note an item in a local newspaper. “It is expected, The Rev. M'Quinn will preach in English at the Roman Catholic Church in Bronson on Sunday next in the forenoon.” Apparently when English was used, it was news.

In 1832, the dreaded cholera swept northern Ohio and claimed many lives according to parish death records. Among the lives claimed was that of Bishop Fenwick of Cincinnati. Bishop John Baptist Purcell succeeded hum.

This website is best displayed on a 1024X768 minimum resolution
Questions? Comments? E-mail the Webmaster.
St. Alphonsus is located in the Toledo Diocese