St. Alphonsus Peru
Past, Present and Future
Home PageAbout this websiteA comprehensive history of St. AlphonsusSt. John Neumann Prayer CenterSt. Francis ShrineContact Ususeful links

In July, 1834, the church at Peru was dedicated in honor of St. Alphonsus by Bishop Purcell. (14) This may have been the first church in the whole world dedicated to St. Alphonsus Ligouri because he was not canonized until May 26, 1839, five years after the church in Peru was dedicated. St. Alphonsus was the founder of the Redemptorists.

Fr. Tschenhens (See his Obituary in the NY Times Here)began to feel that he could establish at Redemptorist community there, but his hope was not realized. He had bought 81 acres of land from W.J. Vrendenbourgh in late 1833 in Peru Township. The land was located next to the present cemetery in the present Howard Ott property and went south across Settlement Road ending at a line even with the present line of the Edwin Brown land. It was supposedly to be used for the monastery. It was eventually sold in small parcels in the late 1830's. (15)

On the feast of the Most Holy Redeemer, July 17, 1835, Frs. Saenderl and F.X. Haescher paid Fr. Tschenhens a visit and Solemn High Mass was sun for the first time in the little church. (16)

This website is best displayed on a 1024X768 minimum resolution
Questions? Comments? E-mail the Webmaster.
St. Alphonsus is located in the Toledo Diocese